March 2013 Personal/Confidential Email Exchange with Brian Allen Carr RE: Edie & the Low-Hung Hands.



Is this your email?  Did you leave Facebook?  I cracked Edie last night and was PISSED AT YOU THE ENTIRE TIME!!! Dude, you make lines that KILL ME!!!  I'll read one and i'm all, FUCK YOU BRIAN ALLEN CARR!!! AND WHAT' SUP WITH HOW I HAVE TO SAY ALL THREE OF YOUR NAMES EACH TIME!?!?!?!  i dont enjoy being MANIPULATED you dickweed!!!!

so jealous of your wordskillz!!!

man, you are the real deal.  love it.  the story is fuckin great. not sure where i left off last night...like, what page...but it was right after dude killed dude's buffalo and cooked it.  EVERYTHING IN THIS STORY IS RAD.  i cant wait to get back into it.

so, in closing, i'd like to say, with lots of love and admiration,

FUCK YOU BRIAN ALLEN CARR!!!

Sincerely,
me



Ah, baby, this made my morning. I love when people say fuck you to me. 

Yeah, Facebook makes me ashamed of myself in a way that twitter doesn't. I think it's because there are less boob pictures on Twitter.

I'm super stoked you like Edie. I'm like nervous about her, because it's all weird and not realistic and such. 

I imagine you might've had similar feelings about Billie. 

Which, what the fuck are you talking about, every line in that little book is magic and FUCK YOU TOO.

Nah, just kidding, I love you. You're the best. 

Also, yes, this is my e-mail. 



hahaha. i assure you, i meant 'fuck you' in the most positive, loving way.

seriously. i love how you write. was curious how you'd transfer your way of writing to this 'fantastical' type of book and...it's so great.  The book i'm working on now is sort of similar and so it's nice to see how you worked yours.  

It seems like you were having fun when you were writing it.  Were you?  

How long did it take you to write Edie?

What inspired the tale?

(maybe i will turn this into an interview and post it somewhere..hahaha)

But, seriously, i'm interested. Let me know when you get the chance.


Sure. Um. . . . . . 

I had a blast writing it. I was reading a bunch of stuff like Jules Verne and Jim Thompson, more plot driven things, and originally Marlet was just gonna be a weird guy with long arms in a small Texas town. Marlet is actually taken from a cameo character in Larry McMurtry's Horseman, Pass By. He doesn't have long arms int that book, but he's called Marlet, and no one likes him, and he just kinda shows up for three pages. I think, originally I just thought I'd write him out. But then, I was jogging, and I was like, I'm giving this fucker a sword. I didn't know why. The sword made me either place it in the past or the future. The future was easier and creepier. So. . . . . 

(I guess I could've also gone like alternate universe, but fuck that seems exhausting, no?)

The first draft took like eight months, I think. 

It was originally quite a bit longer. Like, maybe 10,000 more words. 

But I scraped out a lot of the information dump stuff. 

Like, there's one scene in the original draft where Marlet goes to the Alamo. That's gone now. 

I was living in Victoria, Texas when I wrote it. There are so many churches there. Ron Paul was the rep. from that district. 

That's where all that comes from. The violence from religion (as churches there seem to cannibalize each other, because there are just too many of them), and the notion of bombing out the roads and becoming wholeheartedly independent (because libertarians are, insofar as I can tell, against societal constraints, like, y'know, ties to other places). 




that's so great!  I get wanting to 'write out' a character that you wonder about.  That's where i got the novel i'm working on now.  

"Give this fucker a sword"...lol.

Having written this, do you prefer this type of story and will write more like it or will you go back to your 'normal' set in the 'real world' type of stories?  

What are you working on now?




Good question. I think I've always been interested by that which could feasibly occur but that looks incapable. I mean, it could be that Marlet just has marfan syndrome. I suppose the blank-skinned men are harder to explain. 

I love Spaghetti Westerns and how bizarre reality can seem. I love the Bible, and how oddly our beliefs came to be manifest. 

I've never really thought of myself as a realist writer. My characters have always been wildly odd, or at least I've thought so, but, yeah, the sword and the long arms is perhaps a step further. 

But I'm always attracted to that in fiction. I love Harrogate and Queequeg and Norwood and Candide. 

I've recently been working on a novel. In this, again, there is a living brother/dead brother relationship going on--I feel this will be a theme that plagues me--but in this, the two had a good relationship. The dead brother was an actor. And again I'm playing with the impractical. 

I'm allowing myself to be influenced by Guy de Mauppassant's "The Horla," and I'm drastically stretching into reality what grief does to the mind. 

But that's as much as I'll say about that, because I think talking about it might scare it away, and yesterday I was blank in the mirror again. What? 
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif






  
funny how we find ourselves writing through the same themes over and over in different ways, both direct and vague.  And, yeah, i can see that even in your 'traditional' work, you do have some 'out there' characters.  Another thing i love about your writing!!!

and DON'T SCARE IT AWAY!!!  i get that.  I'm at the end of a huge section of 'backstory' and once these next few paragraphs are done i'm going to be like, WHAT THE FUCK NOW?!?!?!

keep looking in the mirror.  you'll be back soon.

xoxo












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rusty

STRONGLY WORDED LETTER