SUPERMODEL SUMMER!

How I Stay in Shape by Marilyn Monroe

--from the September 1952 issue of Pageant magazine

Now I spend at least ten minutes each morning
working out with small weights. I have never cared especially
for outdoor sports and have no desire to excel
at tennis, swimming, or golf. I'll leave those things 

to the men. Despite its great vogue in California
I'm personally opposed to a deep tan. 
By nature I suppose I have a languorous disposition.
I move my weights in circles until I'm tired. 

Now I have to worry about eating too much.
Before I take my morning shower
I start warming a cup of milk on the hot plate
I keep in my hotel room. When it's hot, I break

two raw eggs into the milk, whip them up with a fork,
and drink them while I'm dressing. I supplement this
with a multi-vitamin pill, and I doubt
any doctor could recommend a more nourishing breakfast.

Every night I stop at the market near my hotel
and pick up a steak, lamb chops, or some liver
which I broil in the electric oven in my room. 
I usually eat four or five raw carrots with my meat

and that is all. Frankly I've never considered 
my own figure so exceptional.


BIO
Amanda Laughtland is an English teacher and the editor/publisher of Teeny Tiny Press (http://teenytiny.org). Her most recent collection of poems, Vital to Victory, is available for free from NAP (http://issuu.com/napmagazine/docs/vital_to_victory).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STRONGLY WORDED LETTER

Rusty